Thursday, November 12, 2009

Here is what my 'fitness pyramid' lunch looked like today. I started with a couple of kale leaves chopped, then added baby bok choy (very delicious and mild) and a big handful of baby spinach. Then a few slices of carrots, red bell pepper wedges, Asian pear slices and pickled mild red peppers were added. At the top of the pyramid I added almond slices and 4 ounces of grilled salmon. I had some left over hot mustard in a jar, I diluted it with lime juice and used it as salad dressing. Read the label of most of the salad dressings in stores, if they are 'fat-free' they are typically loaded with sugar or worse HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).
Oh, and my breakfast (actually my second breakfast!) consisted of 1/3 cup of egg whites cooked in the microwave and topped with a little Splenda and cinnamon, 1/2 cup cottage cheese and of course coffee. And speaking of breakfast, a few days ago I saw someone with a cup of coffee and 'low fat' blueberry muffin; a very big muffin. This may sound shocking but a muffin even if it is from a high end coffee shop is not breakfast, it's dessert. One of those big muffins has at least 500 calories. These calories are mostly refined carbohydrates which will spike your sugar levels and as a result insulin levels leaving you hungrier than before in a couple of hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment