Friday, November 13, 2009

While I was on the elliptical machine today, a friend of mine came up and asked me whether I ever take a day off. Well, let's see... last time I took a day off was...I can't remember. The truth is I don't lift weights everyday, usually about 5-6 days week but my body or perhaps my brain as well, needs the hard cardiovascular exercise. While my heart rate is soaring, my thoughts slow down and I can actually meditate and relax. Since I no longer run, my favorite cardiovascular exercises are my Spinner bike and the elliptical machine. However, if you are only lifting weights and want your heart rate to go up, all you have to do is write down in advance what you are going to do and set up a circuit so that you can have 'active rests' (rest for one body part but not total rest). Say, you only have 30 to 40 minutes to lift. Quit the talking at the gym, focus on your work and set up a circuit. For example, have a bicep station, a tricep one, a lunge station and a pushup station. Either go by time (30 seconds each station) or number of repetitions. This circuit does not need to stay the same through out your 30 minute workout; you can change your circuit exercises. AS LONG AS YOU DON'T REST TOO MUCH SO YOUR HEART CAN CAN STAY ELEVATED.

0 comments:

Post a Comment