Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What do you think about the latest recommendations by the US Preventive Services Task Force that women start getting mammograms after age 50 not 40? Should women stop having self-examinations as the Task Force has recommended? After all the pink ribbon reminders for monthly exams and scheduled mammographies for those of us who are over 40 now we have to unlearn everything we have learned and rewire our brains? Or is it that finally good science has turned conventional wisdom up-side down? If you want to read the original article in which these recommendations were published go to the website of Annals of Internal Medicine, the entire article is online. Our health is part of our fitness and good health increases the quality of our life. So read about this subject and send in your comments.

Now on to one of my favorite subjects... healthy and clean cooking. Here is an EASY recipe I jotted down in my notebook a while back. If you don't make it easy for yourself and family then you are more likely to go to the corner fastfood restaurant. Get your kids to eat or at least try healthier foods. My little girl had a fresh fig and a couple of radishes today. She wasn't sure about the radishes but loved the fig.

The kale, cucumber and feta pyramid: In one tablespoon of sesame oil, wilt three big leaves of kale, transfer to a plate, add fresh sliced cucumbers and sprinkle with feta cheese. I know I always say this but get used to having protein with your lean pyramid so you can stay full longer. I added boiled eggs to my pyramid and topped it off with ground pepper and lemon juice. I usually boil a dozen eggs at a time so I can always have them ready to go in the fridge to put in various dishes. Don't be afraid to experiment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment