Monday, January 18, 2010

Resistance bands and... snow shoes!





The best exercise tools to have or take with you when you travel are resistance bands. They are available in different colors. I think they start with green being the easiest, then go up to red, then blue and finally black. For more resistance you can get what's called 'resistance cords'. You can do a variety of exercises with the bands/cords including but not limited to bicep curls, triceps overhead extensions, shoulder raises, rows, and lunges using the bands for resistance. I purchased mine from Amazon; you can get them directly from SPRI or Power Systems. They are light and hardly take any space, so they're great for travel.


Of course when we travel with car which I prefer, I take kettlebells and dumbbells along! Last year when we went to Telluride to snow board, we rented a little Uhaul and took my spin bike with us. Biking at that altitude was exhilarating. That cardio session was typically followed by 3 to 4 hours of snow-shoeing. If you go to ski or snow board periodically you must try snow-shoeing. It is a total body workout with lots of hills and if the snow is deep even better and harder.


As you may already know, four days a week I workout twice a day and the other 3 days I only exercise once. Well what started the double workout days is when I was pregnant with my little girl we went to Telluride and early in the mornings I would go to the hotel gym and get on the stationary bike for about an hour and then since I couldn't snow board being pregnant and all (imagine that!!) I started snow shoeing. After about a week when we came back to sea level (Texas) I started missing the double workout gig and so I continued it...
But wait. You don't need to workout twice a day to be fit or lean. Just
  1. Don't give yourself a workout holiday just because you have been given a holiday from the government.
  2. Do workout if you simply have the sniffles and nothing else is wrong with you.
  3. Don't skip just because you hear the rain outside your window. You won't melt. (Unless you were planning on running outside and it is lightning- in this case you can skip).
  4. Don't skip just because it is the day before Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, your birthday, your mom's birthday or any other terrible excuse like these.
  5. And my favorite: Do workout during vacation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment