Saturday, January 23, 2010

What is Gluten?




I was looking for gluten the other day at the store and the person who was helping me find it (we never did) thought I was talking about gluten-free foods so I kept telling her that I was actually wanting to buy gluten itself. I put gluten in my high protein 'bread'. Anyway it turned out that the store no longer carries it and I need to order it online. I want to take this opportunity to explain a little about gluten.


Gluten is a combination of two proteins, gliadin and glutenin. These proteins and starch are present in the endosperm of certain grass-related grains such as wheat, barley and rye. This protein actually nourishes the embryo within the plant during germination. The stored proteins in corn and rice are sometimes called glutens but they differ from wheat gluten. The gluten in bread gives it its elasticity and chewiness.


As much as 1% of the population of the United States has an adverse immune reaction to gluten (celiac disease).

0 comments:

Post a Comment