Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Does the size of the drink really matter when it comes to obesity?

Well, now that I'm in the thick of the semester, I have less and less time to write.  But I am hoping to do maybe two posts a week!  Well, where do I start... recently has banned vendors from selling sodas exceeding 16 ounces.  Do they really think that's going to make a difference?  I think I will just buy 3 of them and keep going.  The problem of obesity is not in the size of the drink, yes that's part of it, but putting laws down that prohibit people to buy certain things will only make them want those items even more.  What we need is more education.  Education about nutrition, about metabolism and maybe a little common sense.  Let's face it, if you know your nutrition and how your body uses your food and also if you can decipher the labels on food stuff in the grocery store, you maybe taking the first baby steps to be healthier and lose weight if you need to.

Here is my suggestion.  Let's start from school.  No not by banning vending machines but by offering nutrition and human biology classes and actually making those courses part of the curriculum. Let's teach our kids what a carbohydrate is and the fact that it is not bad for you since apples and oranges are full of carbs!  Let's teach them that if you eat or drink more protein you will not get lean, in fact the amount of protein has nothing to do with how lean you are.  If you have more protein in your diet and if you are not using it, it will simply be stored as FAT.

I am surprised daily as to how little most people know about nutrition and how these molecules are used in the body.  If we give our growing children this type of education in schools and later on in college they won't want to choose sodas bigger than 16 ounces.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Now get up, turn that TV off and go for a walk or run!  Have a great Wednesday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment