Sunday, July 27, 2014

Good Food Gone Bad!

If you are trying to eat healthy, there are lots of food items out there that make healthy claims but in reality they are full of sugar and have no relation to the original food they claim to be. They're impostors. Perfect example?  Veggie chips!  If you want chip don't go to the bulk section of HEB or other grocery stores to get this type of food, save your time and money and just buy Lays or Doritos.  VERY rarely do veggie chips have any veggies at all.

My favorite example of a great food gone bad is sweet yogurt.  In a previous post I have discussed how to make yogurt.  It is a bacterial process so yogurt (the finished product) is sour NOT sweet.  Most sweet yogurt has tons of sugar or high fructose corn syrup.  If you want to sweeten your yogurt, add a little honey or if you want to go sugar free add a little splenda to it.  Chocolate yogurt is pudding aka junk food.  Go ahead eat the junk food just don't fool yourself into thinking that you're eating healthy, because you are not.

Perfect snack or small meal:
1/2 cup plain yogurt ( I like Greek because of its thickness)
a handful (only a handful) of almond slices
a few strawberries sliced

This is one of my favorite things to make for breakfast; high protein and good fats from almonds.

The habit that you need to get into is to read ingredient list and nutrition
facts.  Until next time, get off the couch and do some burpees :)

1 comments:

Tamara said...

I'm so glad you're posting again! I've recently started buying greek yogurt plain - and I was really surprised that it was more sour than sweet - I always assumed yogurt was just a sweet treat, I never knew any better! ha!

Post a Comment