Saturday, August 21, 2010

I Did 100 Burpees Today

Well, not in a row, but you know what? It doesn't matter, they are so tough that any number that will make you breathless will be a great addition to your workout.  Burpees are a phenomenal composite of strength training (the pushup part) and cardio (the jumping).  Of course I usually do burpees after my traditional cardio.  This morning I did 45 minutes of the elliptical trainer, and then 45 minutes of the step mill (yes,Gold's Gym is now the proud owner of two brand new step mills-speaking of making you breathless!!).

Here is what I did to complete my 100 burpees.  I selected several weight lifting exercises and after each set I did 10-12 burpees (I actually did a few more than a 100).  Here is an example:

Lunges then burpees
Military press then burpees
pushups then burpees
squats then burpees
incline pushups then burpees
upright rows then burpees
front raises then burpees

You get the idea right?  You can do a few of each exercise but must commit to do the 10 burpees each time.  And push push push through the burpees to get stronger.  At first you will find it may be difficult to complete even 3-5, but soon you will be able to do more.  So add burpees to the other two exercises that you must do to be able to do them at all.  Here they are:

Pull-ups

Push-ups

Burpees

Basic rule about all three exercises which will make you fitter is: IF YOU NEVER DO THEM, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO DO ANY! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment