Friday, September 24, 2010

Questions You May Have... And They Remained Unswered





Will drinking 2% milk make me gain weight?

Well it depends what else you are eating.  I typically like to add 2% to my coffee, but since I don't have cereals for breakfast I don't use that much milk.  Even if you do add milk to your cereal, you will be more satisfied with the taste of 2% versus skim (which tastes like nothing to me) IF you eat a serving size of a given hopefully- high- fiber, low -sugar cereal.  But if you are eating a huge bowl of cereal, that may require half a gallon of milk in which case you may want to stick with skim milk.

Will I gain weight if I eat a late dinner?

It depends on WHAT you eat, not when you eat it.  But most people are more likely to sit down with a bag of chips at the end of the day, rather than some raw broccoli or a sliced pear.

Can I cheat once in a while?

Define once in a while!!  If you usually eat pretty clean and then a party comes up and the chocolate cake is calling your name, and you end up eating a piece, and that is the end of it, then you are safe.  BUT, if you are 'cheating' almost every day for different reasons, then you need to re-think your diet and yes you will gain weight or if you are exercising, you will simply not lose any weight.

Do I have to eat a salad for my meals to lose weight?

Salad can be confusing word for many.  When I mix spinach, tomatoes and carrots, and then add chicken to it, I call that a salad.  When I cook swiss chard, chicken, brocolli, and cauliflower, I call that a salad.  When I add a bowl of steamed brocolli to a bed of mixed green and add smoked salmon, yup! I also call that a salad.  And finially when I add cabage, malabar spinach, and bok choy and a sliced sweet Texas peach together and then top it off with 3-4 ounces of filet mignon, that, to me, is also a salad. 

Why?  What do all these dishes have in common?  In all the dishes I just mentioned, the plate is hopefully brimming with vegetables and then topped off with some kind of lean protein; like salmon, tofu or chicken.  Notice I did not mention topping off these dishes with, say, brisket!  Brisket is not lean.  But if you must eat some, stick to no more than 5 ounces. 

And by the way, if you have never eaten bison, it is time.  I purchase mine at HEB.  Four ounces has only 130 calories.  I like to tenderize it with lime juice over night and then grill it to medium rare.

If your circumstances have caused you to gain weight, CHANGE THEM!

0 comments:

Post a Comment