Friday, December 17, 2010

How Do We Break the Cycle of Overeating?




In his book-The End of Overeating-Dr. Wansink offers solutions to the overeating problem that many people have.  James Leckman, a professor of child psychology and pediatrics at Yale says that invitations to the brain are built in, but if we give in every time and too often then the system becomes 'dysregulated' and we won't have a strong response system to say 'No'.  The only solution to the problem of conditioned hypereating is to have a strong refusal system within ourselves that we have tested and it works (that is, we can be offered french fries, but we don't give in) every time.  It must be a definitive system of saying 'No' to junky fast food.  Not just 'I will try not to eat it, BUT I will not eat it'.

I have a system of refusal that is very similar to what Dr. Wansink suggests.  After I talk about what he suggests we should do, I will briefly tell you what goes on in my head when I am offered chocolate-covered pretzels or other very enticing food.

- Have Awareness: you must figure out the situation that sets off the cycle of overeating.  We know that certain situations such as stress, anger, sadness may produce a sudden urge to eat without control.  We have to recognize those specific situations and know that we can put in a system where we can monitor ourselves.  How?  Keep reading...

-Have in place a competing behavior: For example if there is cake in the fridge that beckons you when you come home, don't even enter the kitchen; have another route already planned and another action that will keep you busy for a little while so you can completely be distracted.  This alternate route, behavior or action should be practiced and strengthened so that it is in place and strongly competes with the behavior you are trying to extinguish.

-Have support- support is so important because it will sustain and encourage your behavioral change, as you will be responsible to a friend or a close family member.  The right kind of support is very important.  The latest research suggests that people who socialize and eat with others who are obese are more likely to have the same behavioral patterns.

So here is what works for me:  I have just worked out for 3-4 hours.  Why would I want to eat those chips or slice or cake or chocolate ice cream?  The pleasure is momentary but I will have ruined the effects of my hard exercise.  And every time I give in to those temptations I will have weakened the competing behavior that I have worked hard to put in place.  The answers, solutions, and thoughts are not the same and can't be the same for everyone.  You need to think through it and be aware which is really the first step.

The holidays can be a specially difficult time for some, because of the presence of all types of edible temptations and not all are steamed broccoli!!  This is how you should talk yourself out of eating that piece of decadent candy: 'OK, if I eat this, then what? Tomorrow is another day and another temptation and it won't be easy and I won't be better off, maybe even half a pound heavier!!  I need to practice, practice, practice saying 'No'.  And I will start today not tomorrow.  Today with this piece of candy.  I will say no and perhaps it will get easier tomorrow.  If you don't practice walking away, you will forever be trying to lose weight and not actually losing weight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment