Saturday, March 26, 2011

All About Oatmeal



I got inspired by a good friend to post a section about oats... So here it is.

I will start from the least processed to the most processed.    In the bulk section of many grocery stores I am sure you have seen a bin by the name of  'steel-cut oats'.  You may have wondered why it looks nothing like the Quaker boxed oats that is flavored and full of sugar.  Steel cut oats also called coarse-cut oats are cut into two or three pieces by steel.  Old-fashioned rolled oats,  are rolled so they take a shorter amount of time to cook.   I have done some research on this and it appears that there is virtually little difference between steel-cut oats and rolled oats.  I personally prefer steel-cut because I like it on the crunchy side since I don't let it cook all the way.The less processed a type of grain is, the more time it needs to cook.   So the rolled oats cook faster because they are ground a little more.  The texture is another difference between steel cut and rolled oats; rolled oats are more flaky whereas steel-cut are grainier and have a nuttier flavor.  Steel-cut oats tend to be more expensive than rolled.

If you are buying the Quaker or other brand in a box that has flavoring such as maple or brown sugar, just be aware that this type is highly processed and a lot of sugar is added.  Just read the label and compare it to the old-fashioned rolled oats.  There is hardly any fiber left once you process the oats.  And after adding all that sugar I am not sure if a donut is worse that the oatmeal!!



Steel-cut oats after 3 minutes in the microwave


I start by cooking the steel-cut oats (in water) in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. You need to babysit this because the water will boil long before the oats are ready.  I typically add 2-3 tablespoons of half-cooked steel-cut oats to half a scoop of protein powder and 2 tablespoons of flax seed and then add water to this mixture after which I cook it in the microwave for 1 minute.  This mixture is now a staple in the morning for me.  This delicious breakfast or snack has no sugar and is loaded with protein and fiber.

0 comments:

Post a Comment