Saturday, April 23, 2011

All About Flax seed


Flax seed (also called linseed) comes in many different forms.  This is an ancient crop originally grown in Babylon and is not enjoyed worldwide. You can purchase it in capsules (yikes!), powder, oil and seeds. One tablespoon of ground flax seed contain around 40 calories but chock full of vitamins such as vitamin E, and several B-complex vitamins.  Flaxseed also contains minerals such as selenium, calcium and iron. A good idea is buying them whole and grinding them yourself in a food processor. 

Flax seeds are one of the richest sources of alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3's).   I like to purchase them ground after which I typically add them to my protein powder and bake with them or add them to my steel-cut oats and cook them for breakfast.  Yes, you can eat them whole, but many will come out the other end unchanged.   However, if you digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, then eating them whole may cause digestive problems. So they should be ground to allow your body to fully digest the nutrients.  I also like to add flaxseed to my homemade yogurt (no added sugar or preservatives).  In addition, in the afternoons when I need a snack, I add flax seed to frozen blackberries and top it with ice-cold almond milk.  A delicious 'dessert'.

Don't be afraid of the little brown or gold shiny seeds.  Next time you are at the grocery store, pick up a package and put the chips back on the shelf!! 

But be ware of statements such as 'Flax seed will make you lose weight'.  If you have been reading my blog you should know by now that one component, or factor will NOT make you lose weight.  Yes. flax seed is great for you, but to lose weight, you must do more than just eat flax seed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment